- It's always a thrill around here when a BTE plane pops up in a hobby magazine! It happened again in the current issue
(February 2018) of Model Aviation, page 72. Thomas Furgal in Kentucky submitted a pic of his pride and joy, and
it's gorgeous. Click the pic to read the Model Aviation blurb, or
Click here for more detailed info about this plane in the V60 Builder Gallery. Bottom
line... Thomas says the V60 is "the highest-quality kit I've ever built". Thanks for spreading the word Thomas!
- The monster returns! The Super Flyin' King is our biggest plane and it gets tons of attention where ever it goes.
Now, the SFK is not for everybody. You need the right kind of shop (big), the right kind of vehicle (fairly big), and the right
personality (like things big). But if you're up to the challenge, the SFK is a builder's delight and a pilot's dream.
Click here for lots more info on the SFK and all of the high-quality optional
accessories offered by BTE.
- Bruce's main hobby interest for the past couple of years has been vintage R/C models - models that were designed
at least 35 years ago. Finding info and plans for those old designs took a lot of research, so he decided to compile all
of those resources into a single list. Looking for a vintage R/C project? This would be a good place to start!
Click here for the list with links to all of the resources.
- NEW for 2018:
THE GREAT VRCS KIT LIST FOR 1981-1982.
VRCS has a rolling cutoff date of 35 years. That means that any model designs from 1982 or earlier are considered eligible for VRCS fly-ins.
Here's a list of nearly all the American kits that were available in 1981 and 1982.
- Exciting news from BTE! We are proud to introduce our first official Electric Power Conversion Package.
Engineered specifically for the Flyin' King, it features upper-tier components at mid-range prices (no cheap junk!). The Cobra brand
motor and ESC are from Innov8tive Designs, a long-time leader in the electric power community. Included in the package is a prop,
a motor standoff, an installation kit, and a full-size plan.
The Flyin' King is a natural for electric conversion, and lots of our builders have done it on their own over the years. The BTE package
takes all the guesswork out of the process. It's all figured out!
Click here for more info.
- Unfortunately, we are now out-of-stock on Reaction 54 kits. With many other projects taking priority at BTE, there may not be
a new batch until late 2018. Please email us if you would like to be added to our notify-when-ready list for the R54.
Click here for more info on the R54 kit and accessories.
- We have been quietly selling these 1/6-scale Blue Box
Elite Force Pilots for a few years now.
Jet modelers appreciate these poseable figures for their amazing attention to detail, their uniforms, and the intricate accessories
that are included. All are 1/6 scale, and many are fashioned after famous aviators, like George W. Bush shown here. They are
perfect for the Reaction X and many other jets on the market.
- Just got an update from the Armstrong (formerly Dryden) Flight Research Center where they have just tested
an twin-fuselage glider system towed aloft by a DROID. This particular DROID (modified Super Flyin' King built at BTE)
was upgraded to a DA-170 for extra towing power. Scroll down for links to earlier DROID projects.
Towed Glider Launch System Test Flight
- The Super Flyin' Kings that Bruce built for NASA have a new name - DROID. It stands for Dryden Remotely Operated Integrated Drone. Beats the original
acronym which was GUT (Gordon's Utility Trainer). They are being used in a variety of ways, both in research and educational outreach programs.
NASA Dryden's DROID Mini-UAV Reaches New Heights
Auto-GCAS Flight Tests on DROID UAV Declared a Success
Are These the DROIDS You're Looking For?
- In 2009, BTE contributed to one of the coolest projects ever.
This Super Hauler was flown in front of
oncoming tornados and dropped sensor probes. In our humble opinion, it was the single most eye-catching piece
of equipment used in the entire third season of Discovery Channel's Storm Chasers show. Congrats to
the crew from Radiance Technologies who operated the Super Hauler in a safe and professional manner despite the
extreme conditions. Kudos also to Reed Timmer and the TVN crew who pulled the trigger on this risky project. BTE is
very proud to be involved with dedicated and passionate people like this.
- Bruce spent much of 2008 building three big UAVs
for the University of North Dakota. It is a stretched version of the Super Flyin' King, optimized for heavy lifting.
We consider it a new design, and have named it the BTE Super Hauler. There are
no plans to offer the Super Hauler as a kit, but
click here for an inside look at the project.
- These four modified Super Flyin' King airframes were built at BTE for NASA.
They are now being used at the Dryden Research Center, located on Edwards Air Force Base,
for a variety of missions. The folks there call them DROIDs,
which stands for Dryden Remotely Operated Integrated Drone.
Click here for more info.